Fire extinguishers are essential devices that help prevent or control small fires in your home or workplace. However, fire extinguishers are not meant to last forever. They need regular maintenance and recharging to ensure they work when you need them.
What is fire extinguisher recharging?
Fire extinguisher recharging is the process of refilling the fire extinguishing agent and re-pressurising the cylinder after the fire extinguisher has been used or tested. Fire extinguisher recharging is necessary to restore the fire extinguisher’s effectiveness and safety.
Why do you need to recharge your fire extinguisher?
You need to recharge your fire extinguisher for several reasons:
- To comply with the New Zealand safety standards. According to the NZS 4503:2005 standard, all portable fire extinguishers must be tested at least once every 12 months. Further inspections, such as discharge and recharge tests, must be conducted every three years. Hydraulic pressure tests are every five years.
- Ensure your fire extinguisher is ready for use in an emergency. If your fire extinguisher has been used, even partially, it may not have enough pressure or agent to put out another fire. If your fire extinguisher has not been used for a long time, it may lose pressure or have corrosion or damage that affects its performance.
- To avoid potential hazards or injuries. A faulty or expired fire extinguisher can pose a risk of explosion, leakage, or malfunction. A fire extinguisher that does not work correctly can also endanger the user or other people near a fire.
How do you recharge your fire extinguisher?
You cannot recharge your fire extinguisher on your own. You need to contact a professional service provider who can perform the fire extinguisher recharging process safely and correctly. Some of the steps involved in the fire extinguisher recharging process are:
- Depressurising the extinguishing agent
- Removing the discharge valve from the cylinder
- Removing the siphon tube, valve stem, and spring
- Cleaning the valve
- Inspecting for and fixing the signs of damage
- Reassembly of the valve system
- Refilling the extinguishing agent
- Re-pressurising with the appropriate gas to the required pressure
The exact steps may vary depending on the type of fire extinguisher and the type of agent used. For example, water, foam, dry powder, carbon dioxide, and wet chemical fire extinguishers have different specifications and requirements for recharging.
Where can you recharge your fire extinguisher?
There are several options for finding a reliable and qualified service provider to recharge your fire extinguisher in New Zealand. You can:
- Chat with your local fire department and ask for their recommendations or referrals.
- Contact the manufacturer or supplier of your fire extinguisher and inquire about their service network or warranty policy.
- Search online for reputable companies offering fire extinguisher servicing and recharging in your area.
Spectrum Fire Protection is one of the best options for fire extinguisher recharging in New Zealand. Spectrum Fire provides comprehensive and professional fire safety services, including fire extinguisher testing, recharging, repairs, and replacements. Our technicians are trained and certified to fulfil all requirements under the NZS 4503:2005 standard. We also offer a free reminder service to inform you when your next test or recharge is due.
How much does it cost to recharge your fire extinguisher?
The cost of recharging your fire extinguisher depends on several factors, such as:
- The type and size of your fire extinguisher
- The type and amount of agents needed
- The extent of damage or wear and tear
- The location and availability of service providers
The average cost of recharging a fire extinguisher in New Zealand ranges from $25 to $100 per unit. However, this is only an estimate and may vary depending on your situation. Contact your preferred service provider for an accurate quote and ask for their rates and terms.
Fire extinguisher recharging is an essential part of maintaining your fire safety equipment. Recharging your fire extinguisher ensures that it is effective, safe, and compliant with New Zealand standards. You should always hire a professional service provider who can perform the fire extinguisher recharging process correctly and safely. Spectrum Fire is one of the leading companies that offer high-quality and affordable fire extinguisher servicing and recharging in New Zealand.